You don’t have where to spend the night.
Your trip was impromptu.
Money to afford a 5 star hotel is not in your pocket. You can only afford one probably in the slums right now. But you know it won’t be fun. You have tried it before, broken sinks, torn mattresses, no sheets, no wifi, no TV, no way.
But does it have to be this bad?
Not if OYO Rooms can help it.
What is OYO Rooms?
OYO Rooms offers guests predictability, accessibility and availability of standardised hotel experience on a budget.
It is a tech startup idea with the ability to ensure a hotel awaits you wherever you find yourself in India.
Startup: OYO Rooms
Founded: May 2013
Agarwal imagined an India where hotels can be a home away from home, not the usual poor standards lodgers were used to.
Headquarters: Haryana, India
Vision: To standardize and build efficiency into all forms of real estate such as budget hotels, apartments, guest houses and resorts. (imagined by them).
The Pitch (The idea in 20 words)
OYO Rooms is a technology based hotel management application simplifying, standardising and disrupting the Indian hospitality industry.
Hotels, Mobile app, Data analytics
- OYO Rooms app technology is enhanced to offer check-in, check-out, check and cash payments, corporate rates, toiletry audits through one click reconciliation.
- The app utilises data analytics to highlight high demand areas while its scientific algorithm determines room prices.
- The startup is offering predictability and affordability in hotel access for travellers across India.
- OYO Rooms partnership hotels are co-branded to guarantee predictable room availability and room standard quality.
- It standardised partner hotels by offering training to staff, refurbishing and bringing rooms up to OYO Rooms standards which includes mattresses, showers, flatscreen, wifi, breakfast, branded linen sheets and toiletries.
- These standards are audited daily to maintain great customer experience across board.
- The company maintains a minimum guarantee model where it pays hotels upfront for rooms and retains and only takes the incremental revenue off the sale on each room. A model it adopted to keep its partner hotels loyal to its brand.
- It acquired ZO Rooms, a low budget technology driven hotel chain which grew to 200 hotels in 11 cities within a year.
Its revenue model consists of budget ranges between $19 to $25 for small rooms and $26 to $66 for medium rooms.
Growth and Market prospects
OYO Rooms offers over 50,000 rooms in 200 cities and targets to grow to 500,000 rooms in three years.
OYO Rooms is funded by investors;
- Seed: Undisclosed
- Series A: Undisclosed – February 2015
- Series B: Undisclosed – July 2015
- Series C: $200 million – April 2016
Total Funding: $200 million
OYO Rooms has successfully raised investment funding from some of the best venture capital institutions. Some of these investors include;
- Lightspeed Ventures
- Greenoaks Capital
- Sequoia Capital
- DSG Consumer Partners
The future strategy of OYO Rooms is to expand internationally, adding up to 200 townhouse hotel tending towards a more upscale strategy.
The hospitality industry in India is rife with travelers, both tourists and indigenes alike as 415 million Indians, about a third of its population journey to different destinations within the country annually; the market potential is estimated at $10 billion.
However, this has created a vast amount of unsafe and unsanitary hotel models across India which has awaited revamping or quality assurance improvements.
OYO Rooms was blocked by online travel agencies because it disrupted business and stole a weighty chunk of its market share.
Opportunity for Idea Creators
This is an opportunity for idea creators to take advantage of and create something new and different.
On the look out to create more value within this industry sector way should be;
- Hospitality Professionals
- And any other crazy head who thinks and can, can make things happen
Can you imagine an idea like OYO Rooms across major cities in the world? What can you do about it?
And before you go, please do all or one of these three things;
- Please leave us a comment. I will like to share in your thoughts and have a good conversation with you on this startup idea.
- Click on the icons and share on social media. Somebody somewhere may need this information to move to the next level in life and that person may just be you, receiving a shared content.
- Leave your email above. I will take you through my free starter course so you learn how to strategise for startups and get paid.
<?php echo do_shortcode (‘